Thursday, August 29, 2013

Democrats See Value in Texas in Candidacy for Governor

Democrat Wendy Davis of the Texas Senate became famous this summer for her 11-hour filibuster to combat a law which would ban abortions past 20 weeks, and would effectively close a large majority of abortion clinics in Texas. She is now being encouraged by the Democratic Governor's Association and other Democrats across the nation to run for the office of Texas governor in the next election. She already has $40 million in donations ready to be used for a campaign, because many Democrats see value in her candidacy even though it is more than very likely she would not win the election. This is because Democrats believe that her having a large campaign would mean that Republicans would have to divert more funding towards Texas elections, rather than swing states such as Ohio. This would also mobilize Texas democrats, experts say.
Personally, I thought this was a very interesting article both because I followed the Wendy Davis story fairly closely this summer and I also believe this story directly relates to our class discussion today. This story is a good example of American party politics, and how important public opinion is. Today we discussed how Hamilton and Burr were ruined by their remarks and actions against each other, yet here is an example of how Ms. Davis' remarks and actions have catapulted her to the spotlight, and a positive spotlight at that. I also think that this article is interesting because it is an example of party politics, something which we also learned about today. I think that should Wendy Davis decide to run for Texas governor, it will certainly be a very interesting race and one that should be followed closely. It is a perfect example of American democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment