Monday, December 9, 2013
Justices Weigh Constitutionality of New York Town’s Prayers
This article was about a current supreme court case deciding whether or not a town in New York's prayers before town meeting are unconstitutional. I believe that the town's prayer is unconstitutional, because they are being said at a government event to a public audience, and they are openly advocating christianity, which is against the establishment clause. However, I see why this could be a difficult case for the Supreme Court because, as the article mentioned, the supreme court has an invocation to God before their meetings and they have made decisions before about similar issues that could be conflicting. For instance, the article mentioned a case where a town in Nebraska's prayers were upheld, but at the same time in US History I had to study a case where public prayers before high school football games were deemed unconstitutional, so this will be a difficult case for the Supreme Court.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment