Monday, October 21, 2013

Gerrymandering

I really liked this article because, aside from the fact that it was very well written and logical, the writer brought up many great points that I think people should pay more attention too. It was pretty funny for me to read because my mom is pretty liberal, and while my dad is also a liberal he is less so than my mom, and they both prefer different news channels in the morning. My mom is a die-hard ABC fan and my dad doesn't care that much, but would prefer FOX or CNN (mostly because he thinks good morning America only does "housewife stories" which I sort of agree with, but besides the point). We always end up switching back and forth and its interesting because they will be talking about the same issues but in a completely different manner and using/not using completely different information, which can really skew the average person's view. I feel like since most Americans will not actively try to get their information from multiple sources, so when sources become very polarized, so does the nation, and I can see how this affects how polarized our politics have become. You could even say that this indirectly contributes to things like the government shut down because that was caused by a minority (the Tea Party) who won't even really face much trouble in their home districts since, because of gerrymandering, all of the people in their districts will be staunchly Tea Partiers! I think this points out a large flaw in our system and while news sources becoming "gerrymandered" isn't that big of an issue over all, it does point out a big flaw in our democratic process that really needs to be changed for the good of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment