Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Obama's Plea to the Nation


I personally don't know which side of the argument I am on. On the one hand I disagree with President Obama in saying the United States should intervene, but then on the other hand I do agree. One of the main reasons I disagree is the fact that innocent people have died already and I fear that more could die if we get involved. President Obama spoke about the children who have died and my question is if we don’t want more to die why should we intervene and maybe make matters worse for the people living in Syria? On the other hand, I agree to an extent with what President Obama is saying. He compares what happened and the use of gas to things like the Holocaust during World War II. This struck a chord with me. This was one of the most horrific events that has ever happened in our world’s history so why wouldn’t we do everything in our power to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Also he brings up the fact that if we don’t intervene, groups like al Qaida might see that we didn’t react and take it upon themselves to also use them. Honestly I’m not really sure how I feel. I agree with Mr. Curren in saying that I keep going back and forth with this. I will say that I really did like that President Obama had congress postpone the vote to see how the situation play out now that they have joined the chemical weapon group that will not allow them to use it.  I sincerely hope whatever choice is made turns out to be the right choice….

1 comment:

  1. Kaitlyn: I can definitely appreciate your conflicted feelings about President Obama's address. Like you, I feel REALLY uncomfortable about my government authorizing a strike that will probably kill innocent human beings. However, without a viable enforcement policy for international law, criminals like Bashar al-Assad will probably continue acting with impunity.

    ReplyDelete