I agree with the sentiment that people don't care enough about these mass shootings, and that at this point mass shootings have become a new 'normal'. Personally, when I first heard of this Navy Yard shooting, aside from an initial thought of "Really?" I had no real reaction, emotional or otherwise. I kind of just got on with my day.
That's definitely not OK, but I don't think I'm the only one who felt this way. I think that we've become very numb to violence in our society because of how widespread it has become. Even when President Obama does the whole "These are people, not statistics" thing, no one has a real emotional reaction any more. It's infuriating and horrifying, almost as infuriating and horrifying as the shootings themselves.
Americans should care more about things like this. Although there are definite positives to our political system, there are also definite negatives, one of which being that when something as necessary and proper as stricter gun control is in a bill in congress, it gets voted down. I believe that if the ubiquity of mass shootings these days doesn't want to make Americans ban guns, there's pretty much no hope for us in the light of gun violence.
No comments:
Post a Comment