Sunday, September 29, 2013

Reaction to "After Newton"

I thought this was a really interesting movie because I liked how it looked at the role that guns have played in American culture. It's not something that would have occurred to me before, but guns really have been in America since our colonial days, and they've been vital to both our independence and westward expansion. Guns are so ingrained in our culture that it's hard to even notice them, so it makes sense that there would be both the Second Amendment in our constitution, and that there would be such a large debate over gun rights today. I think an interesting question this brings up is whether or not guns are really necessary in our society today, especially compared to the early days of our nation. I personally believe that guns are not necessary in modern America, because by this point our nation's military relies on a lot more than guns to win wars. Guns won't protect us from the tyranny that the founding fathers intended them to (which is why we have the Second Amendment). These days all guns do is cause violence. Then again, it will be a hard battle to rid our society of guns because of how important and central to American identity they've been for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment